Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Sentinel

Zoey, the Sentinel       6x8

    I don't consider myself an animal or portrait artist.  I think those two subjects require a concentration of very specific skills, in order to do justice to such "personal" subjects.  I love to add animals and people in my paintings when a particular likeness is not that important.
     This painting of Zoey was done as a thank you to the couple who extended their hospitality to me when I was participating in the Augusta Plein Air Event in April.  I could tell  Zoey was a very important part of their lives, so I took some snapshots of her "standing guard" in front of their home.  I noticed that Zoey had an unusual way of sitting with her hind leg pointing outward.  I caught shot of her with the sunlight dappling the driveway and her sitting with this special position.  When I returned to KC, I decided to attempt a small painting of Zoey to send to the Hoefts as a special thank you.  I enjoyed painting this subject so much, I may attempt some other four-legged subjects.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you do attempt some other four legged subjects. I see the essence of Zoey here plus this is such a cute little portrait. Almost toy like. Love it! ♥

    ReplyDelete