Sunday, September 5, 2010

CHAIRS WITH A VIEW


11x14 oil on board

We leave for Lake Como this Friday, so I thought I'd post a few of my paintings from this year's Plein Air Festival in Door County while I am packing.  On the first day of the week long event,  Carole , Teddy and I drove up to Rowley's Bay on the Northeast side of the peninsula to watch the invited artists paint at sunrise.  We were inspired as we watched the featured artists paint the setting.  The Mink River empties into Lake Michigan at this point and there is a neat old resort with several piers at this site.  We were anxious to return to paint at this site a few days later.  
It was a bright, sunny day when we returned, so a sky painting was not an option.  I love to include chairs and benches in my paintings whenever possible as I feel they "invite" the viewer to picture themselves within the painting.  These two old adirondack chairs at the end of the pier with the sun creating great shadows, were the perfect choice for my morning painting session.  The chairs provided a challenge in perspective and detail and I tried not to "overpaint" them.  I also tried to consider both chairs simultaneously so they would feel like a pair.  The greens on the other side of the channel were lit by the morning sun making them appear closer that they were.  The bright sun made the water very blue.  This became a very "high key" painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment