Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Stem's Plein Air Event at the Overland Park Arboretum


Monet Painting in his Garden, Bronze Sculpture
 After all our winter travels, including a quick trip to Door County, I hardly caught my breath and it was time for the annual Stems Plein Air Event that I had entered earlier in the year.  It is always scheduled around Memorial Day and during the 10 day event,  the flowers were in full bloom at the Arboretum.  I have done this event for several years so my goal for this event was to do something different, and I think I succeeded in doing just that.  I have always admired the bronze statue of Monet painting in his garden that is positioned in front of the Monet Bridge.  I decided to tackle that and set myself up behind the statue on the grass.  As I concentrated on getting the proportions of the statue correct, I noticed many other artists were painting the garden in full color.  As I looked at my predominately bronze painting, I decided to paint the entire scene in bronze hues.  I titled the painting, "Monet-chromatic".  Not sure everyone caught it but I enjoyed being a "wordsmith" for a change.


Painting Monet in his his garden.




"Monet-Chromatic"  11x14.









































































No comments:

Post a Comment