Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Historic Augusta


Historic Clay House B&B

On Thursday, after a brunch at the Clay House B&B, artists were invited to paint  historic downtown Augusta.  This was quite a contrast from the day before.  The little downtown area of Augusta is full of old stores and homes that have been “recycled” into Inns, B&B’s, eateries, and shops.  It was another sunny day, so the flowers and trees added color to the streets.  There was a painting around every corner and a plein air artist capturing it. 


 As I drove around, I spotted an old horse drawn buggy on the lawn of a little Inn.  The area was full of antique articles but I kept going back to the buggy.  It was setting in front of a tiny log home on the property and the sun was creating some interesting shadows on the lawn and the building.  I decided to challenge myself with this old buggy and try to “keep it simple” in my interpretation.  About half way through, I had second thoughts and wondered what made me think I could pull this off in such a short time.  Another artist had selected the same buggy and after we discussed our problems, I decided to persevere.  The result, entitled “Rough Ride” not only describes the vehicle but also my journey in completing it!



No comments:

Post a Comment