Monday, May 9, 2011

Rainy day at Augusta Shores

On Wenesday, plein air artists were invited to paint at Augusta Shores, a beautiful development of upscale homes, surrounded by lakes, green areas and outcroppings of stone.  The residents planned a great day complete with box lunches , a wine and cheese reception during the judging, and a wonderful chili supper.  The only thing the residents couldn’t provide was a nice day.  It was cold and rainy ALL day!  As I drove around this beautiful area in the rain, my eyes rested on 2 bright red kayaks that were lying on the shores of the boat launch area.  This was the only spot of color in the area!  I drove down to the boat launch area and opened up the hatch of my minivan and set up my easel.  I have read about Monet and the other Impressionists who painted in all types of weather, but this was a first for me!  I used my new umbrella to cover my palette and proceeded  with a smaller canvas.  I enjoyed imitating the rocky shoreline with my palate knife and adding the bright red boats to the composition.  There were several other artists painting in the area.  Just like running a marathon, when you feel the support of others, you do things you probably wouldn’t do on your own.  This was a good lesson to learn today. 
My entry, “No Kayaking Today” got several looks at the reception that evening.



No comments:

Post a Comment