Thursday, May 12, 2011

Sunset Paint out at Balducci's


   The final painting event was a sunset paint out and Balducci’s, a farm and winery just outside of  Augusta.  We had the day to get our paintings ready for the sale on Saturday or finish and frame any paintings.  I decided to paint on the property where I was staying.  The Hoefts had hosted the Private estate event in a previous year, and their home has a beautiful setting on the Katy trail overlooking the Missouri River.  Jeannine and Steve have become personal friends during my weeklong stay and  I wanted to paint a “keepsake” of my wonderful experience.  We finally had a perfect day; sunny, warm, and not windy.  I sat out in front of their home and set up my easel to paint the vineyard to the north of their home.  Once again, the sun provided a full spectrum of vivid colors.  Steve was working on the lawn and I asked him to pinch me because I thought I had died and gone to heaven!  My painting, “Vineyard Vista”  will be a constant reminder of an exceptional week.

Jeannine and Steve were wonderful hosts!

Entrance to the wine cellar

View from the vineyard

"Pinch me!"

"Vineyard Vista"

 The sunset paintout at Balducci’s Winery was a perfect ending to the week.  The surrounding farm and vineyards are set on several hills that provided a great place to experience the setting sun.  Artists and spectators dotted the landscape as the sun dropped into the west.  I spotted an old wagon (more wheels) near the entrance of the property.  The setting sun was creating some interesting colors and shadows to the wagon and the surrounding trees. 
This was a perfect subject for my final painting.  “Sundown at Balducci’s”  depicts the end of a day but not an end to my visits to Augusta Missouri.


Teddy, Tammy and I at Balducci's

Guests enjoyed watching the artists


"Sundown at Balducci's"
What a week!
 Pleasant Hill Winery was the sight of the final judging and art sale.  Individual 5’ square areas were designated for each artist to display the paintings they completed during the 10 day event.  Each artist was to submit 2 paintings for the judging in the morning.  Prizes were awarded for each medium.  The art sale began at noon.  I met many very talented artists during the week and I look forward to participating in future Plein Air events. 


No comments:

Post a Comment